sign up (free!)
FORT PROCTOR — Located on the shores of Lake Borgne just north of the mouth of Bayou Yscolskey, Fort Proctor was one of six new masonry forts built in coastal Louisiana following the War of 1812. Construction began in the 1850s under the supervision of Captain P.G.T. Beauregard. Hurricane damage and the outbreak of the Civil War caused construction to cease and, as a result, Fort Proctor was never garrisoned. Completely cut off from all land access, Fort Proctor can now be reached only by boat.