William Jennings Bryan spoke to an immense crowd in Deadwood in August,1899. Bryan spoke from a stand in front of the Deadwood Opera House, which was located across from the site later occupied by the Franklin Hotel.
Madam Dora DuFran - The Black Hills' Leading Madam Though the vast majority of the many "sporting girls” who worked in Deadwood remain nameless, others were more notable, such as Madame Dora DuFran. An immediate success once she arrived in Deadwood, she continued to build her business until she soon had "branch” houses in Sturgis, Rapid City, and Belle Fourche. Born in England
Deadwood from Signal Hill. Image records north side of Deadwood Gulch. Focuses on Main Street from present day Franklin Hotel toward Gold Street. Taken before the 1879 fire. c. 1879. Photographer F. Jay Haynes.
Historic Bullock Hotel Potato Creek Johnny, born John Perret, displays his famous gold nugget. The nugget is now in the Adams Museum in Deadwood. A replica is on display, the original is locked away but makes occasional special appearances.
On this date in 1876, Zitkala Sa was born on the Yankton Indian Reservation in South Dakota. She would go on to write several books, including American Indian Stories, co-write the first Native American opera, and found the National Council of American Indians-Feb 23
A young mother with her baby in a fancy wicker carriage poses on the north side of the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley depot in Deadwood. Behind her is the McCracken Grocery Store, where the Adams Museum would later be built and an unknown business in what was the Rosengarder's House where the Federal Building would be built.
Homesteader cutting sod for a sod house on the South Dakota prairie. Homesteaders used a special plow to cut blocks of prairie sod that were 18 inches wide and 24 inches long and weighed about fifty pounds each.
Following the fire in the smoking room in 1895, the Franklin’s began a redecorating campaign in 1896. The Chicago design firm of Mitchell & Halbach was hired to redecorate the house. Mitchell and Halbach were decorative painters who added ornate touches to the home, including decorative friezes, hand-painted canvases and stained glass. Resource material provided by Mary A. Kopco, “The Adams House Revealed”