My Golden Recipe: Kousa Bil Laban.
Published on July 7, 2022
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Serving Size: 1 serving
Kousa Bil Laban is my chosen golden recipe…growing up my Syrian dad who was missing my teta (his mom) would make this so much, taught it to my mom and I and now it is truly a recipe that most people who know us have come to cherish! When I decided to share this, I researched and found there’s a few different ways it is done but this is how my family made it.
- •10-12 grey squash (hollowed out).
- •1/2 lb ground lamb.
- •1/2 lb ground beef.
- •1 onion (chopped).
- •3 tbsp butter.
- •1 cup fideo (torn vermicelli).
- •1.5 cups basmati rice.
- •1 lb container plain yogurt.
- •1 large garlic clove.
- •2 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 1/4 tbsp water.
- •salt and pepper to taste.
- •1 tsp dried mint.
- •1 tsp allspice.
- •dash cumin.
- •dash nutmeg.
- •dash cardamom.
- •olive oil.
- •pine nuts to taste.
•fresh parsley for garnish.
- •1.- add the rice in a bowl and completely cover in boiling water. Let sit for 20-30 min. Drain afterwards.
- •2.-sautée the onion with a bit of olive oil for 5-7 min or until translucent. Add the beef and lamb. Break apart with a wooden spoon and add allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, salt, pepper and cumin. Sautée until all the juices absorb and meat starts browning.
- •3.- add the butter to a large pan and add the vermicelli, sautee until golden. About 2-3 min. Add in the rice, a bit of salt and pepper. Cover in hot water and cook until absorbed. You might need to add more water.
- •4.- Once you hollow out the squash, grab the insides and add them to a pot with water and bring to a boil.
- •5.- Stuff the squash with the meat, don’t pack it too tightly.
- •6.- in the same you cooked the beef add a touch more oil and fry the stuffed squash until it is browned on each side. This will be about 8-10 min total.
- •7.- add the yogurt to a pot with the corn starch, grate the garlic, add the mint, salt, pepper and 3/4 cup of the squash water. Heat it up, bring to a light simmer but do not boil or yogurt will break. Add in the squash into the yogurt and cook for about 10 min.
- •7.- toast the pinenuts.
- •8.- serve the rice with the squash on top, plenty of yogurt, pinenuts and parsley.