Published on February 4, 2021
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 12 servings
- •2 cups sushi rice, cooked
- •1/4 red cabbage, roughly chopped
- •1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- •1/4 cup rice vinegar
- •1 teaspoon turmeric + 1 teaspoon water
- •1 teaspoon beet powder + 1 teaspoon water
- •1 teaspoon spirulina + 1 teaspoon water
- •1 teaspoon butterfly tea powder + 1 teaspoon water
- •3 sheets toasted nori
- •1/2 avocado, sliced
- •1/2 bell pepper, julienned
- •2 Persian cucumbers, julienned
- •1/2 mango, peeled and julienned
- •1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- •Water for forming
- •Place the cabbage into a small saucepan. Add enough water to just cover the cabbage, and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and allow to come to room temperature. Strain into a small bowl.
- •In a large bowl using a wooden spoon, mix the sushi rice with the rice vinegar and sugar. Portion the rice into 5 small bowls.
- •Mix each small bowl of rice with small amounts of the turmeric, beet powder, spirulina, cabbage juice and butterfly tea powder. (Don't use too much because you don't want to taste the flavors of the colorings.)
- •Now get a bamboo roller. Add a sheet of nori and place a small handful of colored rice in lines to cover the nori. With moistened hands, press the rice down gently and top with avocado, bell pepper, cucumber, mango and carrot.
- •Roll the sushi up, and slice using a wet, sharp knife. Enjoy with wasabi, ginger soy sauce or spicy mayo!