Built in 1931, the Norfolk & Western Railroad Station was located at 17th and Findlay Streets. It was used for passenger trains until 1971 when they were discontinued but still housed the division offices. The building was demolished in 2004, and the Scioto County Jail is now located there in a structure made to look similar to the old station.
Roy Rogers’ boyhood home. Roy Rogers spent his formative years in Scioto County, Ohio. Born Leonard Slye, Rogers attended Union Street School until his father purchased land in Rush Township on Duck Run Road. Leonard attended McDermott High School until his sophomore year when his family moved back to Cincinnati. During 1930-31, Leonard moved to California and onto fame as one of America's cowboy heroes
The monument in Tracy Park represents John R.T. Barnes, the first soldier from Scioto County to die in the Civil War, and is a memorial to all those who gave their life. It took 12 years to raise the $7,500 needed for the monument, and it was dedicated on May 30, 1879.
In March 1837, in the old Wheeler Academy at 4th and Market Sts., the Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized. In 1846, the church bought land, and a small frame building was erected on the lot on 5th Street between Market and Court. In 1868, the church moved to 7th Street just East of Chillicothe Street. This structure was purchased from Bigelow M.E. Church.The building on 12th and Waller was first occupied on Sunday, Feb. 20, 1921.
Hotel Portsmouth was located at 177-179-181 West Front Street. Previously the Dever House in 1887-88, the hotel became Hotel Portsmouth in the 1890s. It closed in 1956. The building was also once the Union Mission.
Many may remember Dreamland Pool. It opened in June of 1929, by a Kenova, West Virginia company. Closed in the 1990s, and now Aldi's Grocery stands in its place.
A wonderful donation! Isaac Bonser's glasses. Isaac Bonser 1767-1849- early pioneer of Scioto County arrived along the Little Scioto in 1795, and later built the first water mill at Bonser’s Run near area now known as Sciotoville.
The library has been acquiring yearbooks/annuals for Portsmouth and Scioto County. As time allows, they are being scanned to our website. You can check http://www.yourppl.org/lh/ for those already scanned.
Settling in 1816, Dr. Giles Hempstead was one of Portsmouth’s early physicians. Hempstead held many offices and received college degrees from Ohio University. He recorded the earliest records for our weather dating back to 1823 making the local weather bureau one of the three oldest in Ohio. The medical academy and hospital carried his name. He was also an amateur archeologist.
The original Highland Elementary was built on Hutchins Street across from the present Mound Park. Two buildings made up the school. The first was built in 1902 and faced north. The second was built in 1907 at the cost of over $33,000. In 1956, the old buildings were razed when the new Highland Elementary was built on the old playground area.
In 1891, a four-room schoolhouse was built on the corner of 12th and Offnere Streets. At a cost of $2,415, the school was named for an early physician,Dr. Jacob Offnere. The school closed in 1938 and the building went up for auction in 1943. It was sold for $450. The building was razed in 1943. The old Oberlings Auto building is presently in the location.
The twelve-room schoolhouse was located at the corner of 4th and Bond Streets. The initial building cost was $9,117 and was open to students from 1906 to 1939. The building was razed in 1948, and a supermarket was built on the location. The location later became the Social Security building.
Named for the 16th president, Lincoln Elementary was located at the corner of Waller Street and Kinney’s Lane. Built in 1914, the ten-room school was completed at the cost of $50,000. In 1922, 18 rooms were added.Overcrowding at Washington School resulted in Lincoln being the county's first integrated elementary school. In 2000, the building was closed and the students were sent to two other locations. The building was razed in 2003.The SOMC Cancer Center is now at that location.
Gustav (George) H. Heinisch came to Portsmouth in 1868, and in 1869, opened his grocery business at 49-51 Gallia Street. In 1895, his store expanded to a three- story brick building, and in 1897 he added dry goods to his business and offered household items. The store closed in 1910 as Mr. Heinisch opened the Heinisch- King Brick Plant. The building was then used by Glockner Hardware in 1911.
The Stanley Theater was located at 5716 Gallia in Sciotoville. It was torn down for the new highway expansion of US Rte. 52. It is listed in the city directory from 1922 to 1954.
The Orpheum was located at 614 Chillicothe Street. Although mentioned in the newspaper as early as 1905, it is only listed in the city directory from 1908 to 1913 (closed June 1913). The prices were: Gallery .10; balcony .15; lower floor .15 and .20; and boxes, .25.
In 1897, the Board of Education purchased the George Davis property located at Waller and Gallia Streets. The house was remodeled at the cost of $18,000, and called Davis High School. High school classes were held in this building from 1902-1910. Students attended Second Street School until the new high school opened in 1912.
We have recently acquired several stereoview cards and a viewer. Here is a view of the old Opera House. The first recorded theater in the Portsmouth area was Wilhelm’s Opera House. Opening 1878, the early theater was a stage type. It was located on 4th and Court Streets.