North Brother Island Quarantine Zone, New York: quarantine zone, leper colony and centre for drug addicts. Just 350 yards from the crowded tenements of the Bronx, North Brother Island was first employed as a quarantine centre in 1885. Closed in 1963, it is now a haunting labyrinth of crumbling ruins.
The Pavilion building, built in 1885, was originally an insane asylum for women. It handled the overflow from the asylum on Roosevelt Island, and typically received chronic cases. In the 1970s, it saw its final use as a drug rehab facility called Phoenix House.