All stone Hobbit House in the Cotswolds - abandoned, amazing - more pics, including interior...

fenestra-ad-scientiam: “ This ‘Hobbit House’ was built without planning permission by a local eccentric artist. It started as a simple single height building but grew and grew. It took over ten years.

The Dovecote in the Pigeon House Garden at Rousham House Park. Bicester, Oxfordshire, England. The landscape is the work of William Kent (1685-1748). Rousham represents the first phase of English landscape design and remains almost as Kent left it. It is one of the few gardens of this date to have escaped alteration.

The Dovecote in the Pigeon House Garden path at Rousham House Park near Bicester Oxfordshire.

Richmond, London   The Pagoda at The Royal Botanic Kew Gardens   It was completed in 1762. The ten-storey octagonal structure is 163 ft high    (nearly 50 m).  There have been several restorations, mainly to the roofs,    but the original colours and the dragons have not been replaced though the    question of replica dragons was discussed in 1979.  When the Pagoda was    completed in 1762 it was the tallest reconstruction of a Chinese building in    Europe.

In pictures: some of Britain's finest architectural follies. The Pagoda, The Royal Botanic Kew Gardens, London 1762

The Wonderful Barn, a famine folly in Ireland.

The Wonderful Barn is a corkscrew-shaped barn built on the edge of Castletown House Estate of the Conolly family, which borders Leixlip and Celbridge, Ireland. It was built in 1743 on the Leixlip side of the Castletown Estate.

Fox Earth, also at Larchill Arcadian Garden.

Irish Garden Follies : The Foxes Earth a Grassed Mound with inner chamber reminiscent of an ice house : it is reputed to have been built as a refuge for foxes being pursued by the hunt : Larchill Arcadian Gardens, Kilcock - close to Dublin

The Lake Temple at Larchill Arcadian Garden, Ireland.

Garden Follies Ireland : The Lake Temple at Larchill Arcadian Garden near Dublin is a circular building on one of the lake islands : possibly intended to emulate the plunge pool baths of ancient Rome

Raymonds Folly (now gone)  Charles Raymond (1713-88) made his fortune as a captain in the East India company. He retired to Essex where he had a three-sided tower built in 1765, known as Ilford Castle or Cranbrook Castle, at a cost of £420. It was to be the family mausoleum but he and his wife, Sarah, were buried at Barking. It became known as Raymonds Folly but was probably a banqueting house. It was demolished in 1923 to make way for a tennis club

It may have originally been a fishing lodge with ornate gables that were fashionable in the Low.

The Hermitage was a folly first built by Captain Robert Riddell of Friars Carse (known as Glenriddell at this time and later returned to its ancient name) as part of his enthusiasm for antiquities. It is famous for its connection with the bard Robert Burns who through his friendship with Robert Riddell was permitted to use it to compose poetry in this secluded and tranquil sylvan spot. Burns also used his diamond point pen to engrave lines on the window pane at the Hermitage following the…

The Hermitage, Friars Carse

Pinterest
Search