An illustration of the de Warenne lands at Lewes, East Sussex. In the foreground is the Priory of St. Pancras, the first Cluniac house in England. The layout of the town, and even the architecture of the priory, are very similar to that of Castle Acre Priory in Norfolk, built by William II de Warenne, son of the founder of St. Pancras.
Temple Church, London - The St Clair family of Herdmanston, the original line of our family in Scotland, received lands from Geoffrey de Mandeville who supported the Templars. He was made a Knight Templar on his deathbed and eventually buried on the grounds of Temple Church, London.
Savigny Abbey Haimo de St Clair and his brother William gave the land of Richard de Vilers to Savigny Abbey, with the assent of Stephen count of Mortain. Mathieu has recently suggested that his sister was Basilia, wife of Eudes de Dammartin.
The ruins of Montebourg Abbey in Normandy where Richard de Redvers was buried in 1107. The Redvers gave land to the de Morevilles. The Morevilles gave land to the St. Clairs of Herdmanston, the first of our family in Scotland. More on the St. Clairs of Herdmanston here - http://stclairresearch.com/content/L11-P310-Herdmanston.html
According to Wikipedia (not the best source), Roger Bigod, 5th earl of Norfolk, changed his arms from a cross gules to a lion rampant upon becoming Marshall of England. In so doing, he adopted the arms of his grandfather, William Marshall (Mareschal), 1st earl of Pembroke. Recorded in the Falkirk Roll, c.1298.
Some of our L21 Sinclair DNA members show very close STR matches to the Kerr / Carr family. This was a powerful Border family. Turns out a cadet line of the Herdmanstoun family of St Clairs held the barony of Cessford between 1376-1416. It's a beautiful place, far off the beaten track, high on a hill in the Borders. More to read at our blog - http://stclairdna.blogspot.com/2013/02/sinclair-dna-shows-kerr-connections.html