There’s more to see...
Come take a look at what else is here!

Auburn-y


Auburn-y

  • 55 Pins

Auburn Subway Art

attempting creative: War Eagle Subway Art

attemptingcreative.blogspot.com

Auburn Tigers

Auburn University Alma Mater Sound Clip and Quote

hark.com

Toomer's Corner in Auburn

Nowhere Else Can Bitter Rivals Mend Fences in Trying Times

southernliving.com

Auburn, AL

Auburn football games

AuburnTigers.com - Official Athletics Site of the Auburn Tigers

auburntigers.com

War Eagle

Auburn Football, P. Lutzenkirchen

A rainbow over Samford Hall.

Auburn - Final Rolling of the Oaks Panoramic - Toomers Corner Aerial Picture

Auburn Tigers Panoramic - Auburn Oaks Final Rolling Picture

panoramas.com

There's no place like home!

Gus!

Powered by Gusoline by Tiger Rags

tigerrags.com

Calvin and Hobbes as Aubie and Gus

College & Mistletoe (@CollegeAndMag) | Twitter

twitter.com

Take 5 on The Auburn Oaks

Take 5 - Auburn University

auburn.edu

Football Field After Auburn Iron Bowl Win 2013.

Ngum Suh on Twitter

twitter.com

War Eagle

An Eagle & a Tiger in the trunk of the Toomer's Oak tree. Auburn has the power to change you in ways you never expected, and the Auburn spirit goes straight to the core! We serve a beautiful creator! War Eagle & Go Tigers

The morning after - Iron Bowl 2013

Tranquility pervaded the Auburn of about 1910, but at the same time the Village seemed busy. Wagons rolled on a dirt road past hitching posts and shade trees while Alabama Polytechnic Institute cadets relaxed on a convenient bench. The camera recorded at least eighteen people walking, talking, riding, and sitting--and one even running. The water tank and Burton's Bookstore have come and gone, but Toomer Drugstore remains a familiar landmark.

Two 200-foot towers of Radio Station WAPI stood in 1928 in an area south of what is now the Samford Avenue-Donahue Drive intersection. Leonard B. Thomas, a student, climbed one of the towers to take the pictures seen here. Three of the pictures have been put together to form the top panel and two to form the bottom panel. To the left in the upper picture is Drake Field, the varsity football field then and located approximately where the upper Haley Center parking lot is today. The gully at left in the late 1930s became the site of Jordan-Hare Stadium. ROTC horses were stabled in the two buildings running north-south at lower left near where the Sports Arena is now.

Auburn's greatest football cry, War Eagle, took on feathered form in 1930 when this golden eagle was found on a farm near Auburn entangled in thick pea vines. Bought for ten dollars by local businessmen, the eagle was turned over to the A-Club. Cheerleaders DeWit Stier (left) and Harry "Happy" Davis, later executive secretary of the Alumni Association, helped care for the new mascot, which quickly proved a good omen. Auburn hadn?t beaten a Southern Conference football foe in four seasons until the eagle attended the 25-7 victory over South Carolina at Columbia in the last game of 1930.

Cows grazed in front of Comer Hall, probably in 1924. The inside of the building was only two years old that year, having been replaced after a fire gutted Comer in 1920. Nobody knew for sure what started the fire that early Sunday morning in October. Nearly sixty years later graduate Lyle Brown theorized that a still being used to make distilled water in an overnight lab experiment had been the cause. "In those days," he said, "it wasn't uncommon for the town water to be cut off. When that happened, of course, the still kept running and got so hot that it melted down and set the building afire." Volunteers promptly laid a hose from town, but Phil Hardie, Cliff Hare?s son-in-law, recalled that the water hose wasn't long enough to reach the fire. The rebuilt Comer looks much the same today, but the cow pasture lies mostly beneath an asphalt parking lot.

This workman used a wagon, a mule, and two oxen to help move materials used in building Samford Hall in 1888-90. The man held a separate line to each animal. Hitching posts were common in Auburn in those days. At this stage of construction, the building is recognized by its distinctive window trim. For many years, a white picket fence stood on the College Street side and a white board fence on the Thach Avenue side of Samford Park.

A festive Homecoming crowd of 15,000--largest ever assembled for a football game at Auburn--roared in approval as Coach Jack Meagher's Plainsmen whipped Clemson, 28-7, on November 29, 1941. Eight days later the nation was at war, and many of the young men in this picture shortly became members of the military. Elements of the cadet corps are shown assembled behind the Field House (Petrie Hall) and on the baseball diamond (upper right) before marching onto the football field. The Auburn skyline consisted of Samford Hall, the water tower behind Toomer Drugstore, and the college smokestack. Just to the right and northeast of the Field House is Tichenor Hall, completed in 1940 and known as "new building" for more than a decade before being named for Auburn's third president. The Quadrangle at upper right, completed just in time for 1940 fall occupancy, housed 404 of the 700 women students that semester.

Langdon Hall looked like a church in this picture, taken several years after it was moved to the campus in 1883. In fact, it had been built before the Civil War as a chapel of Auburn Masonic Female College. It originally stood near the present intersection of Gay Street and Magnolia Avenue. It was named in 1889 for Charles Carter Langdon, who had been mayor of Mobile, Alabama secretary of state, and a trustee of the college from 1872 until his death in 1889.

Professor W.W. Hill (centerfront, wearing cap and white shirt) and his helpers worked in about 1916 to increase the supply of electricity for college and town. To create the space for new power-plant machinery, they hauled an old engine and generator from the powerhouse behind Langdon Hall to the train station. They used heavy manila rope, a winch, real horse power, and a wagon with specially built wooden wheels. In the background are Toomer Drugstore, Burton's Book Store, and other buildings. Hill, who taught electrical engineering, also had charge of the town water supply.