The altar was fabricated of Hawaiian ‘ohi‘a wood by Masako Schwalbenitz and donated by the Larry Nitz family. The original design was by Reese Fowler of Seattle. The altar was first used in worship on February 20, 2005
Saint Louis Abbey was founded in 1955 as a priory of the Benedictine Ampleforth Abbey in North Yorkshire, England. The Abbey Church, also known as the Church of St. Mary and St. Louis and the Priory Chapel, was designed by Gyo Obata of Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum (HOK), with the Italian architect and engineer Pier Luigi Nervi serving as consultant. The Abbey Church is also the home for the St Anselm Parish.
Altar at St. Meinrad Archabbey in St. Meinrad, Indiana. Each side of the altar has 17 gilded bronze panels that illustrate a theme based on Christ's life: teacher, Eucharist, Passion and Resurrection, and major events and mysteries.