Buildings and Structures in Tyne & Wear
Dunston Staiths were opened by the North Eastern Railway Company in 1893 to meet the growing output of export coal and to save the rail journey to the docks at the mouth of the river. A second set of staiths was built adjoining the first in 1903 and a tidal basin dug out, providing six berths in all, at which ships could be loaded at all states of the tide. Each berth was provided with two gravity spouts and there were three conveyor belts.
Restoration of Dunston Staiths: @tyne & wear building preservation trust need £5,000 match funding to unlock a £400,000 grant from the #Heritage Lottery Fund and a £160,000 grant from English Heritage to restore the largest timber structure in Europe . www.sponsume.com/project/restoration-dunston-staiths