Federal Building, U.S. Post Office and Custom House
Federal Building, U.S. Post Office and Custom House in Saint Albans, VT. A handsome Colonial Revival building constructed in 1937-38 with the expansion of the U.S. Customs Service following the improvement of highway links across the Canadian border. Its marble wainscoted lobby contains the well-preserved Saltra murals depicting rural Vermont life.
Edward T. Gignoux U.S. Courthouse in Portland, ME. This was the first federal courthouse in Maine and was designed in a trapazoidal shape with an interior courtyard. It was built in two phases—the first in 1911 and the second in 1932.
U.S. Custom House in Portland, ME. The Portland Custom House was built between 1867 and 1872 to accommodate the city’s growing customs business, making Portland one of the most significant seaports in the country. It is the best remaining example of Alfred Mullett's work in the state of Maine and continues to serve its original function.
John O. Pastore Federal Building and U.S. Post Office
John O. Pastore Federal Building and U.S. Post Office, Providence, RI. The post office annex, as it was first called, was built in 1940. The three-story Pastore Federal Building is an example of Stripped Classical architectural style, with Art Deco elements. Photo by Carol M. Highsmith.
Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, Providence, RI. Completed in 1908 this building is a notable example of the Beaux Arts style and was hailed as one of the finest federal buildings outside of Washington. Photos by Carol M. Highsmith.
John F. Kennedy Federal Building, Boston, MA. Constructed in 1966 of concrete, granite and glass, it is one of the federal government’s most noteworthy Modern designs. It consists of twin 26-story high-rises connected by a glass atrium and attached to a 4-story low rise by a glass-enclosed walkway and a two-story lobby.
Harold D. Donohue Federal Building, Worcester, MA. As Worcester expanded in the twentieth century, it needed a courthouse, federal office space and a larger post office. In 1930 the 1897 post office was demolished and the site utilized for the current building.
The John W. McCormack U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (POCH) was constructed in downtown Boston in 1931-1933 as a monumental expression of the city's regional and national stature. It occupies an entire city block that measures 227'x 207' x 248' x 201'.
Cotter Federal Building: Designed in 1930 by the architects Malmfeldt, Adams and Prentice, the William R. Cotter Federal Building was one of the first buildings constructed during the ambitious public works program generated by the Depression. The exterior was designed in the architectural style known as "Starved Classicism," which spanned the narrow line between classicism and modernism, a characteristic of public buildings of the period.
Construction of the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse began in 1933. Local architect Robert F. Smallwood designed the building, which opened on April 1, 1935, and cost $325,000 to build. At the time of its completion, it was one of the largest and most expensive buildings in the Eastern Carolina region.
Robert S. Vance Federal Building and US Courthouse
The Federal Building and United States Courthouse is a four story white marble building in the Classical Revival style. It occupies an entire block on 5th Avenue, between 18th and 19th Streets in the Central Business District of downtown Birmingham. The original building (1921) was two stories high, above a full basement. In the later 1930's a two story addition was constructed appearing as a third level and an attic below a hipped roof.
The size, scale and character of this building reflect the growth of the federal government as an institution. It is also noteworthy as being relatively typical of other Federal buildings of the era, and by being built by the Work Projects Administration which offered employment to construction workers and craftsmen.
US Border Naco AZ Port of Entry in Naco, AZ: The Naco Border Station is a U.S. customs and immigration station on the U.S.-Mexico border in Naco, Arizona. The main building is an exceptional example of the Pueblo Revival style, constructed in 1936. The border station is a two story stucco and wood building with elaborate carved and painted decorations. Features of the building which are typical of the "Pueblo" style include flat roofs, battered and rounded walls, parapet walls, cutouts, terraces, verandas, roughly hewn rafters and cross pieces (vigas and latias), water spouts (canales), and hewn window lintels. There is also a porte cochere on the front of the building and a decorative, rough-hewn ladder. It has an unusually fine degree of artistry and integrity of the original design which make it unique among southern border stations and an exceptional example of Pueblo style buildings.
US Custom House in San Francisco, CA: In 1905, Eames & Young, a St. Louis architectural firm, won a national design competition for a new custom house. William S. Eames and Thomas Crane Young were the principals of the prominent firm. They designed the building in the Beaux Arts Classicism style, which was popular as part of the City Beautiful movement that sought to create more appealing urban centers. The U.S. Custom House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. After the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake, seismic and other upgrades were made from 1993 to 1997. While the building continues to serve many of its original purposes, the U.S. Customs Service is now the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, part of the Department of Homeland Security.
The Federal Building is an important local representative of the Beaux Arts style and a major work of a regionally prominent architect, Starks & Flanders. Built between 1932 and 1933 as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse Building, it is an important civic landmark representative of the city of Sacramento's newly realized position of economic and political significance in northern California.
United States District Court - Central District of California
The U.S. Courthouse, built between 1937 and 1940 as the U.S. Post Office and Court House, was the third federal building constructed in Los Angeles. The U.S. Courthouse has been the venue for a number of notable court cases, beginning in the 1940s with paternity cases against Clark Gable and Charlie Chaplin, and a breach of contract suit filed by Bette Davis against Warner Brothers. The House Un-American Activities Committee met in the building in 1947 to gather information on Hollywood personalities suspected of Communist involvement. In 1973 the federal government case against Daniel Ellsberg for leaking the "Pentagon Papers" was heard in the U.S. Courthouse.
Originally called the U.S. Post Office and Customs House, the Jacob Weinberger U.S. Courthouse also housed the U.S. District Court, Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), and the U.S. Weather Bureau. Even though the Courthouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, it was abandoned for the following decade. Attention refocused on the building in 1985, when much of the interior was gutted for conversion to INS offices. That same year, however, champions of historic preservation campaigned to restore the building. In 1994, an award-winning renovation and restoration project renewed the historic lobby and main courtroom to their original beauty while creating new offices and courtrooms that evoked the elegant style of the 1913 period.
The James A. Walsh U.S. Courthouse was constructed during 1929-1930 as a U.S. Post Office and Courthouse. Acting Supervising Architect of the Treasury, James A. Wetmore, designed the building in 1928-1929. The post office operated in the building until 1974. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. In 1985, the building was renamed in honor of James A. Walsh, who served as a federal district judge from 1952 to 1981. For the first eighteen years of his tenure Walsh was the only judge in the U.S. District Court in Tucson.
The Federal Office Building at 50 United Nations Plaza, San Francisco was completed in 1936 and was part of the Civic Center plan devised by San Francisco in the wake of the 1906 earthquake and Fire. Today, it is the Regional Office for GSA's Pacific Rim Region and has been honored with a LEED Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Buildings Council.
Representing one of the last bastions of Romanesque Revival architecture in the Midwest. It currently houses both a U.S. District and U.S. Bankruptcy court & remains an exquisite example of Richardsonian Style. The courthouse earned Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED®) certification for existing buildings in July 2013 and was designated an ENERGY STAR® building in 2000, with re-designation in 2010.
Federal Building and US Courthouse in Wheeling, WV: Selection of the site in 1902 was initially criticized for its lack of visual prominence & its distance from the city center. Shortly after construction, commercial development shifted northwards toward the new building. The construction of the federal building was an important local event for the prosperous industrial city of Wheeling, setting a high standard for architectural excellence.
U.S. Custom House, Baltimore, MD: The cornerstone was laid on June 13, 1903, and work had proceeded almost to the third floor when Baltimore suffered its disastrous fire of 1904. The Custom House sustained a good deal of damage. However, eventually construction continued and the building was finally finished and occupied at the end of 1907.
William J. Nealon Federal Building and United States Courthouse
William J. Nealon Federal Building and United States Courthouse: This building is part of a group of civic and commercial buildings in an historic district centered around the Lackawanna Courthouse on Scranton's public square. Most of these buildings were constructed during the period from the 1880's to the 1930's, the period of Scranton's greatest significance.
Federal Post Office And Courthouse: This buildings was designed by New York architects Trowbridge & Livingston in the late 1920s. It represents the rise of western Pennsylvania, and Pittsburgh in particular, to national political and economic prominence. It represents a period when the Federal Government was aggressively expanding its presence in cities small and big, all across the country.