The Stark Center’s extensive collection of materials on weight training, bodybuilding, athletic conditioning, alternative medicine, and other forms of self-improvement. The collection, considered the largest of its kind, comprises thousands of books and magazines, an extensive photograph collection, correspondence files, posters, videotapes, films, and artifacts. The Center’s directors, Drs. Jan and Terry Todd, both former powerlifting athletes, are committed to preserving the history of ...
The FAC is the perfect place for meet classmates and study together. In front is a statue called the "Torchbearers" by sculptor and former professor Charles Umlauf.
Will C. Hogg was the original College of Geosciences building. The frieze around its facade has bas-reliefs depicting the history of the earth, including trilobites, dinosaurs, sea urchins and a saber tooth cat, as well as the inscription "O earth, what changes hast thou seen" from Alfred Lord Tennyson.
On May 28, 1923, a rattlesnake noise began at the wellbore and changed to the sound of a wild prairie wind. Santa Rita came in with oil blowing over the top of the derrick and spraying the countryside. The first well drilled on University Lands, Santa Rita No. 1, was officially transformed into a bona fide oil well.The first oil royalty payment to the Permanent University Fund was made on August 24, 1923 in the amount of $516.53.The Santa Rita rig was moved from its original site to the Un...
The Etter-Harbin Alumni Center is across the street from the Stadium. In its courtyard are many statues, including one a Longhorn Band member doing the "hook 'em horns" and of Bevo standing proud. It is a common to see people climb up on Bevo for a great picture opportunity. The alumni center also provides a secluded spot to enjoy lunch or grab a quick snack in between class at the Texas Espresso Cafe that overlooks Waller Creek.
The Littlefield House is an historic home in Austin, Texas on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin. The home was built in 1893 by George Littlefield, a major benefactor to UT. It was designed using the popular Victorian style at a cost of $50,000. George Littlefield had a "Deodar Cedar" (Cedrus deodara), or "Himalayan Cedar" imported from the Himalayas and planted on the property. Littlefield even had the soil where the tree was to be placed dug up and replaced with Himalayan soil...
The hall at the east end of the library was called the “Hall of Noble Words” because of the noble words that are painted on the concrete ceiling beams. Dr. Battle carefully selected these quotes from a variety of sources including the Bible, classical and modern poetry, an inscription on the Temple at Delphi, and famous Texans. The supports for the beams contain the printers marks of famous early printers.
The LBJ Fountain is on the grounds of the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library. On sunny days, you'll find ROTC students doing drills or a lively game of quidditch. UT's team won the Quidditch World Cup VI in 2013 and was crowned "the best Muggle-centric squad in the world."
Mary Gearing Hall is home to the College of Natural Sciences' School of Human Ecology, which includes the departments of Textile and Apparel, Nutritional Sciences and Human Ddevelopment and Family Sciences
The Cactus Cafe & Bar is one of Austin's great acoustic music traditions. The Cactus is an intimate live music performance venue, and since the Cafe opened in February 1979, the Cactus has acquired a national reputation, showcasing the top local, regional, national and international acoustic music acts on the circuit today.
Designed in 1909-10 by the New York architect Cass Gilbert, Battle Hall is the only academic building on campus listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As University Architect (1909-1922), Gilbert was given carte blanche over the design for what was originally intended to be The University Library. His design credentials included designs for the U.S. Supreme Court Building, the Minnesota State Capitol, and the Woolworth Building in Manhattan. He excluded all ornamentation indigen...
One of the most significant aspects of the East Mall is the Martin Luther King Jr. Statue, installed in 1999.
Bates Recital Hall in the Butler School of Music houses the country’s largest tracker organ. Based on an 18th century Dutch design, the Visser-Rowland organ is three stories tall, weighs 24 tons and has 5,315 pipes.
Each year, Texas Performing Arts offers a diverse season of music, theatre, dance, and conversation, and during the past 30 years has presented such world-class artists as the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Victor Borge, Nina Simone, Ornette Coleman, Merce Cunningham Dance Company, Van Morrison, Philip Glass, Ella Fitzgerald, and The English National Opera. We are also the proud home of Broadway Across America-Austin, and have presented the Austin premieres of The Lion King...
The Texas Memorial Museum exhibits focus on dinosaurs and fossils, Texas wildlife, gems and minerals, and a working Paleontology Lab where visitors can interact with scientists as they prepare fossil finds. Spotlighted in the exhibits are spectacular specimens found in Texas, including the largest flying creature ever found—the Texas Pterosaur, with a wingspan of nearly 40 feet and the 30-foot Mosasaur that swam the shallow sea that once covered most of the state.
The Library houses 45 million pages of historical documents, 650,000 photos and 5,000 hours of recordings from President Johnson's political career, including about 643 hours of his recorded telephone conversations. Be sure to see the replica of the Oval Office on the 10th floor.
The Blanton Museum of Art at The University of Texas at Austin is one of the foremost university art museums in the country, and has the largest and most comprehensive collection of art in Central Texas. The Blanton's permanent collection of more than 17,000 works is recognized for its European paintings, an encyclopedic collection of prints and drawings, and modern and contemporary American and Latin American art.
The Harry Ransom Center advances the study of the arts and humanities by acquiring, preserving, and making accessible original cultural materials. With extensive collections of rare books, manuscripts, photography, film, art, and the performing arts, the Center supports research through symposia and fellowships and provides education and enrichment for scholars, students, and the public through exhibitions and programs. Stop by to view latest exhibit. The first photograph from 1826 and a Gu...
Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium is home to The University of Texas at Austin Longhorns football team since 1924. The current official stadium seating capacity of 100,119 makes the stadium the largest football-only venue by seating capacity in the state of Texas, the largest in the Big 12 Conference and the sixth largest stadium in the the United States.
Designed by Paul Cret, who also designed the Tower and Main Building, Goldsmith Hall and Texas Memorial Museum, the Union was built in 1933building hosts a bowling alley and formal ballroom.
The turtle pond is the perfect place for a relaxing break to watch the red-eared sliders basking in the sun. They're named for a horizontal red marking directly behind the eye. Is it just me, or do those patches look burnt orange?
Almost every student at UT has had at least one class in Parlin Hall, home of the English department.
Pulling an overnighter, cramming for finals, group study...ah, the memories! The UT Austin campus library system holds nearly eight million volumes, ranking it as the fifth largest library among academic institutions in the United States, and the eleventh largest overall in the country.